Finally, a sunflower! Next year I will try a different trick (and earlier planting!!!) to give the flowers a better chance.
This hopeless Irish gardener managed to grow potatoes this year at least… We had them with our anniversary dinner last night and they were yummy.
And Papa even noticed that the Giant Pumpkin finally has a tiny green pumpkin growing at the very end of a huge long ten foot trail of vine.
I will not profess to being the most attentive gardener. Being an Irishwoman, I forget that rain does not pour down from the skies every day in New England, and I forget to water my plants… This year I have been trying much harder and have been slightly pleased with not killing toooo many things. I am baffled however as to how I could have grown a corn without even knowing it…
When I got back from Ireland I noticed a “weed”. Something about it told me to leave it, and lo and behold, we have a corn plant! Conor and I tried to grow some last summer in our usual patch but got no fruit, just tall stalks.
This makes me sure now that our sunniest patch of our garden is the best for growing. My current patch gets too much shade and Papa wants to maybe build a shed there. You need more proof?
So Conor wanted to grow his own pumpkin for Halloween, but we planted some seeds that the pesky (“f***ing” was a more appropriate term according to Conor) squirrels dug up, so I constructed the tomato cage to protect those, then when we went camping, a sneaky “squirrel” neighbor planted a pumpkin plant grown from the seed of the pumpkin that won the giant pumpkin contest at Topsfield fair. That is the one on the left that is doing awesome and trailing forever. Karen said that there was actually a pumpkin growing on this when we were in Ireland but I think the pesky bunnies might have eaten it? I cannot find any. Just lots of blooms… I have not given up hope…
Speaking of critters, look what has managed to bloom despite proffering up a lot of delicious leaves to the bunnies.
There should have been a whole row (four fence sections worth) of these sunflowers but the bunnies got to most of them. GRRRRR! The one reason these still managed to grow is probably the irrigation system. As you can see from the scorched grass at the back (by the pumpkin), the irrigation system does not go that far, something we would like to remedy when we win the lottery. And that way I will never have to water and I may actually grow things!!!
Santa and his reindeer naturally require much nourishment on their huge journey Christmas night. I found a great use therefore for my first attempt at growing carrots – reindeer food!
The boys also sprinkled a ton of sparkly oatmeal reindeer food so the reindeer could find the house.
Then followed letters to Santa (on PAPER), chocolate chip milk (?where do they get these ideas???), and cookies. Some bright spark had the idea of getting the whisk and incorporating a cookie into the milk… Delicious I’m sure.
We got back from camping to find a tomato finally! Thanks to Karen for watering it!
ALL of Conor’s and my sunflowers came out on Monday for all the kids making their way past our house to school…
I picked my rhubarb. I don’t know if I’ll get any more this summer. The rest of it is looking pretty decrepid. I think I let it grow too much before picking…
The muffins are nothing special, just something to try with the little amount of rhubarb I had. But my new cases that I got for Mother’s Day were a big hit! They’re smaller than the usual size cups so it’s quite perfect for little hands and appetities!
I am delighted with my rhubarb’s progress this year after a slow year last year. It has spawned into four sections! My neighbor Bill was saying he had split his last year (we planted ours at the same time but his was from an established plant and mine was from a garden center) and I was worried because mine was nowhere near that good last year. But I could contemplate splitting it this year. I’ll confer with Bill first though!
Made me realise I could make rhubarb pie for Papa since he asked for pie for Easter.
Our porch was looking pretty terrible. Paint was chipping and it was rather green. You can see its state in the picture of the boys waiting for trick or treaters. I eked out some time to get two coats on it on Saturday and Monday, helped by naptime and neglecting the boys in front of the television. I’m really proud of it, though the 9 hours it took out of my life meant that the house was a wreck.
Yippee! The change in weather made sure I had enough fire to finish the fence before the winter.
This is the new fence that we had to put up last winter when the old fence blew down in Superstorm Sandy. It was too cold to paint it back then and it has taken me all summer to finish.
I even painted it quickly enough during my 2-hour Conor-at-school-Eoin-napping break to sit down and eat some Toblerone and stare at my new yarn…